Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo and Conditioner

RATING (out of 5 stars): 3 stars

COST: $3 to $4

THE SKINNY: This new formula in the Garnier Fructis line claims to be more biodegradable than other brands (94 percent for the shampoo and 92 percent for the conditioner). It is also sold in a bottle that contains 50 percent post-consumer recycled plastic to make you feel like you are doing a little more for the environment. The “green” formula is also silicone, paraben and dye free.

The good news: It has the great fruity scent that is a signature of the brand (my favorite thing about the line). It lathered well and was great in the shower. And my hair felt super-soft all day. I like the clear formula as well. I am always a little weary of bright pink or orange shampoo.

The bad news: It left my hair totally flat. Not super skinny and sleek flat, but limp and lifeless flat. Apparently this is from the lack of silicone in the product, which is a super frizz fighter. According to a 2010 article in Marie Claire, the right balance of silicone in shampoo gives hair a polished finish and makes hair have fewer tangles and improves shine. It can, though, damage hair (and hair color) over time.

KEEP OR TOSS: I am a little torn. The product should be better for my hair. I might give a full size bottle a try and pair it with a volumizing mousse for a more full look. I really want to like this product because it is more eco-friendly; I am just not f the flat-hair look is for me.

CHECK IT OUT: Garnier has the skinny on its Pure Clean line and information about its efforts with TerraCycle to help decrease beauty product waste.

-- Tested by Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment